Monday, June 17, 2013

6/17/13


    Of all my weeks (I say that like I have a long time in the mission) I learned more this week than all the others combined. It was HARD, and FRUSTRATING and especially HOT. But this was by far my favorite week. I honestly don't know why or how, but it was great. We didn't have a single investigator at church for the second straight week and our baptismal dates all fell, but the spirit was super strong this week. And that will lift you up no matter what you're going through.
  Every night after we plan for the morning, we have about 45 minutes to an hour to do what we want. So I take that time to read the Book of Mormon and kind of study for myself. (In the mornings we only study for our investigators) This week I read from Alma 16-30. Most of those scriptures are about Ammon and his mission to the Lamanites, and converting the Anti-nephi-lehis. I think it's in chapter 17? not sure, but it talks about the sons of Mosiah and how Ammon had to rescue them from prison. They had been beaten and starved, but in their moment of weakness they persevered and kept enduring. Then when they were rescued the first thing they did was go and preach. They didn't take time to feel sorry for themselves. I also read a little of DyC in sections with Joseph Smith in Liberty Jail, and how even the Prophet has times of difficulty, where he doesn't think he can endure anymore, but the Lord answered his humble pray for help by saying If you persevere, I will exalt thee on high. And in the next chapter also talks about enduring all types of abuse because of the word of the Lord and what he believed in. Later on in the week I reread the chapter about Ammon again in Spanish and it brought out a different part of the story that I didn't understand in English the first time I read it. It is how Ammon was commanded to go and convert the people in the kingdom of Lamoni, an impossible task. And he did it. He didn't think about the millions of reasons of why it was impossible, he just did it. Then he was supposed to get the sons of Mosiah out of jail, another impossible task, and he just did it. And God gave him a way once again. Reminded me of in first Nephi when Nephi has to go get the plates, and he doesn't think about why its not possible, he just does it.

    It's never a good idea to bible bash with anybody because the spirit isn't there, and they are just going to be angry, and shut down to the missionaries in the future. but this week we had a second lesson with a really really strong apostolic lady. She knows her bible inside and out, and had all kinds of questions for us. It was so hard not to just bash the crap out of her because I know my scriptures pretty well too and could prove her wrong in EVERYTHING. (My companion also knows his bible better than the pope) But we decided not to. I don't know why but I decided to share the scripture about faith and how we don't walk by sight, but by faith. And immediately she shut up. She started to let us teach her about Joseph Smith, and then again went crazy with her scriptures and asking why we believe in something other than the bible, and how that doesn't make sense, etc... So in an hour and a half we taught her that there were prophets in the bible after Jesus, and the First Vision. That was it! About 2 days later we had an appointment fall through and decided to go talk to her again. This time she started out by showing us all kinds of apolostolic hymns and stuff. And we finally got her to let us pray. After the prayer she let us talk for like 10 minutes without bringing up her scriptures. We taught her about the Book of Mormon and why it's necessary. In those 10 minutes, the spirit testified to her that theres something to that book. She completely changed. She started sharing scriptures that backed up everything we said! it was awesome! We left her a Book of Mormon and she said she'd pray. Were going back tomorrow to see if she actually did. It was so cool to see in a matter of seconds the light flip on in someone's eyes.

Pues, I don't have time to write much more but next week ill tell you about the most golden investigator in the history of forever!

Love Elder Lund!

No comments:

Post a Comment